Friday, October 9, 2009

Wintergreen Mid-IR Report

Once again, I spent almost all week working on the roadmap report, so I have very little news or questions to post on this blog. However, I thought I would make good use of this space and comment on the Wintergreen Research report, “Worldwide Nanotechnology Mid IR Sensor Market Shares, Forecasts, and Strategies, 2009-2015.” I figure for those who read this blog, such a report may be of interest. Unfortunately, I cannot endorse the quality or usefulness of the report. While I cannot present evidence to better argue my points due to copywrite issues, I can strongly suggest not purchasing the report.

For one, its substance consists of either material copied and pasted from the websites of Mid-IR companies, or summaries which are poorly written, grammatically incorrect, or contain blatant factual errors. Furthermore, while it does provide certain predictions (including specifics about how areas of the market are expected to grow), it provides no justification for these figures, or analysis of, for example, which companies/applications within the markets will be successful take off. Finally, the report is unnecessarily long. In many cases, pixilated images of lasers or detectors occupy full pages, artificially lengthening the report.

No matter your background or what you are looking for, I cannot recommend purchasing this report for any reason. If you have any doubts, I would strongly encourage you to ask for a sample of the material before purchase.

If you have any questions about the report from someone who is doing similar research to the work the report should have done, feel free to email me at pschram@Princeton.EDU.

No comments:

Post a Comment